Each year opportunities are made available to bright and dynamic college students to view, first hand, the workings of government. While you are here, we hope to do several things to make this the most productive experience you have had to date. We will:
- Clearly define expectations
- Offer a rigorous curriculum
- Provide for diverse learning experiences
- Solicit input for further development of the program
For some of you this may be your first internship, and for others, this may be another in a line of internship experiences. Regardless, we have planned this program with the expectation that you will all leave the Office of Senator Klobuchar with skills that can be applied to whichever future endeavor you explore.
It is important to Senator Klobuchar that you leave with a diverse experience. Our aim is to go far beyond just a "bullet point" on your resume and introduce you to public service and the legislative system.
Below you will find more detail about the experiences available in our Minnesota and Washington offices and how to apply.
What can you expect from an internship in Minnesota ?
In the Twin Cities office, you will work directly with congressional aides on a wide range of issues.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Answering phones and assisting constituents with requests
- Assisting constituent advocate staff with casework and related tasks
- Assisting outreach staff with research, event planning and other work in key communities
- Assisting the scheduling and communications staff
- Helping to plan and participation in a monthly community service project
- Other assigned tasks
Every effort is made to match interns with staff based upon interests and previous experience and positions will be filled based on office needs.
Full and part-time unpaid internships are available. If your institution allows or requires college credit, accommodations can be made.
How to apply for an Internship in Minnesota
Please submit the following:
- Application Form (Download)
- Cover Letter Demonstrating Your Writing Skill
- Short Writing Sample
- Three References
Internships for the Minnesota program are available for the following four sessions:
- Summer Session
June through August
Deadline: May 15th
- Fall Session
September through December
Deadline: September 15th
- Spring Session
January through May
Deadline: December 15th
- January Session
Deadline: December 15th
If you would like to be considered for this program, please send your application materials by mail, email, or fax to:
U.S. Senator Amy Klobuchar
Office of Senator Amy Klobuchar
1200 Washington Avenue South, Suite 250
Minneapolis , MN 55415